Seems like end of the year brought new interesting .NET Micro Framework capable hardware. GHI Electronics introduced their FEZ initiative, which truly opens .NET Micro Framework space to everybody and I think we will hear much more about it in the future. But today I want to blog about new hardware from Sytech Designs, U.K based company. You might know Sytech Designs as a distributor of Device Solutions hardware as well as embedded solutions vendor.
Meridian as we want it
Sytech Designs came up with the small factor development board based on Meridian CPU. I personally value the decision to use well known CPU with good community and manufacturer support. Especially because installation of the new SDK would be boring and Meridian was missing his Single Board Computer reincarnation a lot. Although, we have Meridian/P, which is the first Meridian for hobbyist, it lacks some peripherals out-of-the-box (Ethernet, D-Sub 9, SD/MMC). The new MicroDev is declared as a development kit but it can bee used as a single board computer, which is where I see the big potential.
It comes with the D-Sub 9 serial connector, Ethernet, SD/MMC card slot and GPIO extension header. Debugging is done via USB, as we are used to do with Meridian. Beside the standard GPIO extension header (two GPIOs designated for LED and button), there is a LCD extension connector.
For all those hobby or low-series applications where Tahoe-II was too clumsy and Meridian/P too raw, the MicroDev is the perfect choice.
- Freescale i.MXS ARM920T at 100MHz
- 8MBytes SDRAM
- 4MBytes Flash
- USB application download and debug
- 2 Serial Ports: 1 logic level + 1 RS232 level
- Frequency Counter
- Ethernet via RJ45 connector
- SD Card
- JTAG connector
- TFT LCD Touchscreen expansion connector
- Button and LED accessible from application code
- 27 GPIO pins - all can be configured as interrupts
- Power via External +5v or via USB
- 3V3 Power Supply o/p available
- All Meridian signals available via 0.1” headers
- Dimensions: 100x65 mm
- 6x Mounting holes
- More at http://www.sytechdesigns.com/